how come criminal girls is not being dubbed?

They're criminals. They're girls. They're criminal girls!
Spaceshotx7
Geo Master
Geo Master

how come criminal girls is not being dubbed?

Postby Spaceshotx7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi,

I wonder why NISA decided that the audio for criminal Girls would be in Japanese only instead of the duel audio like the other games do?

Can anyone explain the reason for the decision?

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Re: how come criminal girls is not being dubbed?

Postby shadowmaksim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Simply put, I think it's because of the budget. Dubbing isn't exactly cheap and NISA might not have expected the game to sell that well.

But really, until it's elaborated on, it's all just speculation.

neonie
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby neonie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Criminal Girls in and of it self is a risk, so not dubbing is minimizing that risk to the best of their ability.
Houk wrote:THE HYPOTHETICAL CENSORSHIP OF BABIES!

Spoiler:

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Spaceshotx7 wrote:Hi,

I wonder why NISA decided that the audio for criminal Girls would be in Japanese only instead of the duel audio like the other games do?

Can anyone explain the reason for the decision?

Hi there! I believe I can be of assistance.

Many factors contributed to the decision to have the game be Japanese only, but the biggest one was time. As I'm sure a lot of you know, dubbing a game takes a lot of time and effort, for both us and the developer. We decided that there just wasn't enough time to find a cast that we loved and record the dialogue necessary, which would extend the timeline and budget of the game significantly.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Spaceshotx7
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Spaceshotx7 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:41 am

If Time was the issue, then how come most of the other games got a dub then? Can you answer that question?

Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:51 am

Spaceshotx7 wrote:If Time was the issue, then how come most of the other games got a dub then? Can you answer that question?

Sure! Criminal Girls had a very tight development and localization schedule. We couldn't work in a dub with the quality we require within that schedule. Other dubbed games had much more time and a more open development schedule.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe

Spaceshotx7
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Spaceshotx7 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:09 am

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
Spaceshotx7 wrote:If Time was the issue, then how come most of the other games got a dub then? Can you answer that question?

Sure! Criminal Girls had a very tight development and localization schedule. We couldn't work in a dub with the quality we require within that schedule. Other dubbed games had much more time and a more open development schedule.

For this game, I wonder why you had a limited schedule, while other games had a more free schedule?

You could have taken your time in order to cater to both Otakus and the mainstream gamers.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:18 am

I hate to tell you but main stream gamers are NOT going to be buying Criminal Girls. Maybe a handful, but not many, that's for sure. Main stream gamers would take one look at this game and say what is this crap and put it back.

I think leaving this Japanese dub only was a good decision, especially if time was the huge factor. I'd rather see this in Q1 2015 than Q2 or Q3.

NeptuniaYuriFan
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby NeptuniaYuriFan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:30 pm

If there's no dub, why do sites marketing this game say that there IS a dub? :?
PSN: YuriFan9999

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Because they're practicing poor journalism by not checking their facts? The official site makes it clear there's no dub.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

souledge94
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby souledge94 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:

Well thanks for the info. I was interested but no dub makes is a big no no for me. I hope your future games will get the time they need for dubs.

Chizuru
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Chizuru » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:48 pm

souledge94 wrote:
Prinny Supervisor wrote:

Well thanks for the info. I was interested but no dub makes is a big no no for me. I hope your future games will get the time they need for dubs.

Just my personal preference, but I've been enjoying Japanese voices with English subs more than English dubs lately, whether it be anime or games. I can understand how that would be a turn off for some, though.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:32 am

Dubs in foreign things always seem odd to me.
Some anime has good dubs, but for me, original voices are better.

Live action foreign movies are a big no no for dubs.
Pretty lame for the original actor to have their voice dubbed over.

Kresnik
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby Kresnik » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:58 am

If it's to do with budget issues, then I kinda like that.

Personally, I'm neither here nor there on dubs, but if skipping them can keep costs down and increase the chances of games coming across that wouldn't otherwise, then I'm all for it.

Incidentally, why is the budget for Criminal Girls so low? Is it a game that wasn't being planned for localization that NISA had to pick up to fill a gap in their schedule or something?

shadowmaksim
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby shadowmaksim » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:23 am

I'm assuming something happened during the localization since it was originally announced to have been getting an English track.

My guess is that either they are cutting their costs in general due to expecting a decreased potential in sales or the editing of the minigame ended up costing more than initially expected. From what Prinny Supervisor said about it, it also seemed like there just wasn't enough time to set everything up (finding the right voice actors that fit the characters, actually recording the lines, etc.) so trying to fit it in would cause too much of the budget to get expended due to how much longer it'd take without an appropriate amount of return for the investment.

Could be for any number of reasons really.

Anyway, while I definitely prefer having English tracks, it's not really enough to cause me to pass up games either. Between getting a game with no English track and not getting it at all, I'd go for the former.

Return to “Criminal Girls”