Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

They're criminals. They're girls. They're criminal girls!
M4he
Vassal
Vassal

Re: Criminal Girls official info thread (read this first)

Postby M4he » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:09 am

Not wanting to get involved, I will ignore the fight of the previous pages and just add my two cents here:

I've purchased this game on release day on the european PSN store but never really had the chance playing it at first. Now I'm a few hours into the game.

I've bought the game at full price despite knowing that it has been censored. NISA spoke about "modifying the amount of fog that remains in some scenes" beforehand (source - has only been accessable from cache for ages, mysteriously unreachable on silicionera). This sounded tolerable to me, so I went ahead and bought it.
By the way, the official NISA site for Criminal Girls showed (and still does) screenshots from the japanese version of the game, including CGs that were altered in the localized one. For example this or this from the official website. I have yet to spot a notice on this site or those images that says that they don't reflect the actual product and are subject to change.

In general, I've got 2 problems with the adjustments made:

1. The shape of the additional fog patches: most of the time they look almost perfectly squared. They don't blend very well into the remaining fog. They should have been a bit more irregular, cloud shaped at the very least. They stand out too much, killing the fun more than necessary.

2. The choice and placement: the choice which CGs were censored seems almost as arbitrary as the choices in Monster Monpiece. I still can't figure out what the criterion might have been, it doesn't seem to be about underwear per se nor about cameltoes. Which makes me question the necessity of the censorship in the first place.
Plus most purple fog patches make the picture look waaay more explicit than without. I mean, sometimes it suggests they are naked there...

I personally don't really care about the removed voices. The heart pounding sounds during the minigame and the dialogs before and after are sufficient for the atmosphere in my opinion. But those sometimes poorly designed fog patches slapped onto the CGs are an eye-sore on those otherwise very beautiful Live2D animations.
Adding additional fog patches that stand out this much is not what I imagine when reading "modifying the amount of fog that remains in some scenes" to be honest - but this is a purely subjective judgement.

I have fun playing the game in general and I'm glad having the chance to (in english). But I kinda regret paying the full price for it - especially when Senran Kagura SV was 10 bucks less but didn't cut/alter any content. And I might not do so again for a censored NISA release.
I appreciate NISA trying to be transparent about the process in advance though.

I would love an uncensor DLC for regions where it would be possible. Which I presume the EU where I reside would be part of. But I guess that is a dream that will never come true, sadly.
I didn't catch everything in this thread as I only skimmed across it but whoever was the brave sir/lady who offered a good amount of money to resubmit an uncensored version to the rating boards: you have my deepest respect!

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:27 am

M4he wrote:Plus most purple fog patches make the picture look waaay more explicit than without. I mean, sometimes it suggests they are naked there...

Yeah, that happens a lot, it's the problem with dealing with a general set of criteria which only work on paper.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Aikia
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Aikia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 am

And I might not do so again for a censored NISA release

Like I said, this game went beyond censorship, and most people agree with it, I don't even care about censorship, but this is taking it too far. You guys can defend all you want, the majority of nisa fans are completely against this.

Companies like bungie can afford to make mistakes, you guys can't if you wanna keep your few dedicated. There's limits.

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:37 am

*Glances at the last post he made in this thread* Uh... huh.

Sorry, I just can't see it. ^^; I mean, it really does look to me like they're editing less and less over time, which is exactly what I've been expecting to happen. I found it a bit odd at first, but by the end, I was actually quite happy with the game.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Aikia wrote:Like I said, this game went beyond censorship
But in what way? A couple of splotches on some CGs and voices during scenes that are a few seconds long?

Honestly I'd argue what was done to Neptunia V's script was worse as far as "censorship" goes.

Ultimate_Nova_X
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Seventh wrote:Honestly I'd argue what was done to Neptunia V's script was worse as far as "censorship" goes.

That's actually a very good point. :?

The_Dood_Abides
Demon Lord
Demon Lord

Postby The_Dood_Abides » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Aikia wrote:

Like I said, this game went beyond censorship, and most people agree with it, I don't even care about censorship, but this is taking it too far. You guys can defend all you want, the majority of nisa fans are completely against this.

Companies like bungie can afford to make mistakes, you guys can't if you wanna keep your few dedicated. There's limits.

Sorry to burst your confirmation bias bubble, but we're actually very happy with Criminal Girls' sales performance. If our decision to censor certain elements of Criminal Girls incensed the majority of our fanbase to such a degree that it had a negative impact on the game's sales, we're not seeing it.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1MegaMan10
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby 1MegaMan10 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Aikia wrote:Like I said, this game went beyond censorship, and most people agree with it, I don't even care about censorship, but this is taking it too far. You guys can defend all you want, the majority of nisa fans are completely against this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQwIfr ... age#t=1847
I bet you hate how NISA went back in time to add the fog into the Japanese version. Damn them for not using their time machine to fix the bugged games! (This is snark)

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to pile on. I noticed no one showed you what the Japanese version looked like, so here it is. It's not really findable on google images, so I really don't blame you for not knowing, especially with the media completely ignoring this fact.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Yeah, as I understand it, a very minimal amount of fog was added, mostly only to the very last stages.
Otherwise the mostly-covered screens are the norm.

Beedlebud
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Beedlebud » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Aikia wrote: You guys can defend all you want, the majority of nisa fans are completely against this.

I'm against it, but lol you can't prove this. I think it's pretty safe to say that the people complaining about it are a (loud) minority, judging by how Nisa keeps doing this.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Yeah, as I understand it, a very minimal amount of fog was added, mostly only to the very last stages.
Otherwise the mostly-covered screens are the norm.

This isn't censorship.
Spoiler:

This is beyond censorship.

The circled part is all they added here, if I'm getting this right, by the way. It's silly and I am still in the crowd that doesn't think it was necessary, but it's also still not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Oh yeah, it's really kind of stupid, but considering we've seen this kind of thing happen before, probably just a weird technicality thing.
Regardless of whether or not it makes it look 'worse'.

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Ironically, the censorship SKSV has built in actually covers more (of the screen), I think.

razisgosu
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby razisgosu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah Aikia made the same post in the other thread too. They're completely ignorant to what was modified.

Although I did swear I saw added pink fog to one of Shin's mini games. I do have to question that given she confirmed she is 20 in game. She should have been completely clear of any needed pink fog. I'm a bit biased though since she was my favorite character.

Aikia
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby Aikia » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:48 am

The_Dood_Abides wrote:
Aikia wrote:

Sorry to burst your confirmation bias bubble, but we're actually very happy with Criminal Girls' sales performance. If our decision to censor certain elements of Criminal Girls incensed the majority of our fanbase to such a degree that it had a negative impact on the game's sales, we're not seeing it.

So your telling me mugen souls, monster monpiece and criminal girls haven't hurt your sales or fanbase ?
Please, you may be a moderator, but no one with half a brain is gonna buy that.

Return to “Criminal Girls”