Concerns about Spoilers

The ultimate forum for the ultimate fans of the ultimate game series!
G3n3raL86
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Re: Concerns about Spoilers

Postby G3n3raL86 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:36 am

The_Dood_Abides wrote:
G3n3raL86 wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but anywayz.

Apparently, N4G posted an article from siliconera about DR on how to make a memorable villain. Main thing is that they used a picture there on N4G that's a flat-out spoiler.

Here's the link with the pic:

DR Major Spoilers

http://n4g.com/news/1722682/danganronpa-writer-talks-about-plot-twists-and-how-to-make-a-memorable-villain

And here's asking: Why. The. Hell. they used that particular pic? Everyone who'll check that they'll get to know who the villain is.

Getting spoiled from the comments here and there is one thing, but getting spoiled by the media like this is just stupid.

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/spoilers-d ... -anything/
http://io9.com/5829720/new-study-shows- ... in-a-story
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsre ... oilers.asp
http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2 ... od-for-you

In my personal experience, there has not been a single instance where I experienced a work of fiction after having some details about it spoiled for me and thought, "Gee, I would've enjoyed that more if it hadn't been spoiled." If anything, spoilers heighten my anticipation for seeing how those things that have been "spoiled" are going to be executed within the work itself.

I believe that great writing and well-developed characters can never truly be spoiled, because hearing about great writing and well-developed characters from second-hand sources is entirely different from experiencing them directly. Plus, fiction is so derivative of the works that preceded it that you can pretty much predict the outcome of any story if you know the tropes of a particular genre well enough. Most of the time I "spoil" things for myself just by guessing at outcomes and being right 9/10 times. And the 1/10 times I'm wrong, it's because I considered two equally likely outcomes—one correct, one incorrect—and happened to choose the wrong one.

Also, DR1 first came out, what, almost five years ago? Odds are anyone who is interested in DR1 already knows Junko's role in the plot by this point, and anyone who isn't interested wouldn't care one way or the other, so why get worked up in the first place?

Well, that thing on having an anticipation after a spoiler doesn't apply to everyone. Others may feel dissapointed if they get spoiled; i belong to this category. Is there a reason for getting spoiled in heavy story-driven games? Especically in VN's, in which a picture is worth a thousand words...

And you're saying that DR came 5 years ago... OK fine, but it came out ONLY in JPN back then and most of the Western gamers didn't even know it's existance. DR exploded when the localization occured.

But this is not the main issue here; we're talking about a pic that this guy posted that it is a spoiler and anyone who may visit it (especially the ones who began their Despair trip with the 1st game) will be spoiled deliberately. This is not right. It's better having this mindset: "Who is the mastermind beind all of this? And why he/she did this?" instead of: "OK, i know the mastermind, let's see why he/she did this."

And the funny thing is that i've contacted the N4G team in order to change the pic, but they didn't do sh!t. How low is that?
My Street Fighter 4 FanFiction Project: fav.me/d3k2f2f

PSN ID: G3n3raL986, everywhere else (XBL, NNID, Steam, Skype): G3n3raL86

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu May 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Spoiler:
G3n3raL86 wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but anywayz.

Apparently, N4G posted an article from siliconera about DR on how to make a memorable villain. Main thing is that they used a picture there on N4G that's a flat-out spoiler.

Here's the link with the pic:

DR Major Spoilers

http://n4g.com/news/1722682/danganronpa-writer-talks-about-plot-twists-and-how-to-make-a-memorable-villain

And here's asking: Why. The. Hell. they used that particular pic? Everyone who'll check that they'll get to know who the villain is.

Getting spoiled from the comments here and there is one thing, but getting spoiled by the media like this is just stupid.

Junko has figures made of her with Monokuma and she's pretty much the face of Dangan Ronpa right behind the little black and white bear himself, there's really no avoiding it, I wouldn't go around posting Junko is the mastermind in the DR1 threads of people who haven't played the game but honestly on the sites I frequent like J-list I see her everywhere, she's basically the Aerith dies of video game spoilers among niche Japanese game fans. Dangan Ronpa was also pretty big in the west too before localization, most people like myself played through the fan translation or read a LP. it WAS huge on tumblr before AE scared them away and with the anime airing it also brought in new fans.

Hell, even Nisa put up avatars of Junko and Mukuro (Junko)

[spoiler]She's a crappy villain anyway who ruined the series for me upon her reveal and motive just being "loldespair" she's taken away any chance of Dangan Ronpa being taken seriously again. Best they learn how lame she is before being dissapointed with how dumb and shallow her motive is. Goddamn it I hate Junko.

G3n3raL86
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby G3n3raL86 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 pm

How about putting your words and the pic in a spoiler tag for starters? As i said before, it's a waste on getting someone spoiled.

And finally...

:? :shock: :o

DR SPOILERS

Spoiler:
You're kidding man, right? Junko's one of the best villains i've seen in years. Yeah, she's Despair and there's no real reason behind everything she's done, but that's the whole point of the series (Hope vs Despair). How original it would be if she was after money, control and/or power? You need to get the reference of the series and you're set.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Thu May 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Because this figurine is available to the public, people are going to see it and this figurine is a good example of Junko not being a big deal anymore. You think they're going to wrap this Junko figurine in a black bag with question mark on it and sell it?

And you know stuff like Fukawa Touko being Genocider Syo is out in the open now, right?
Spoiler:
So the whole series is pointless then? Because the writer couldn't think of a decent motive for this "magical" school girl who can influence people because loldespair Good to know an actual good VN/puzzle series like VLR from Spike Chunsoft wont be getting a sequel because of this drivel.

G3n3raL86
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby G3n3raL86 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 am

^I can't remember anyone looking for that particular figurine first thing, especially if they don't even have a single idea of the series. Looking for merchandise IS risky.

And as for the spoiler:

DR SPOILERS

Spoiler:
What has the DR series have to do with the ZE series? You do realize that the ZE series is a child of Kotaro Uchikoshi and DR is Kodaka's? We're talking about 2 different franchises here, from 2 different teams.

And as i said before, there was no motive behind Junko's actions. It's all in the metaphorical state of affairs (Hope vs Despair) done 100% right, Junko being Despair's incaranation. If u can't get it and need a logical explanation for her actions, then sorry, but you have to look somewhere else.

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 am

I see this figure advertised all the time on Japanese merchandise sites, Junko isn't that big of a deal anymore I'm afraid, like I said Fukawa's secret isn't hidden anymore and people are going to have DR2 spoiled for them when playing AE assuming they haven't played the second.

Also this
http://nisamerica.com/nart/pbombs/2014/ ... scee_1.png
Guess people had a whole bunch of things spoiled for them.

Spoiler:
DR and VLR is under spikechunsoft, crap like DR sells more, so they're obviously going to focus on that, darn shame really

G3n3raL86
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby G3n3raL86 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 am

^OK, lemme explain it simply:

999 and VLR was CHUNSOFT's property BEFORE merging with SPIKE (the latter were the publishers for the ZE series). Different directors, different teams. Simple.

I acknowledge ZE supiriority since i've played them both, but DR is a beast of a series too.

If there's someone to blame, then it's the Japanese audience that found 999 scary and gory and that's why VLR was more toned down. Sales were in the red for JPN for this reason (whereas in the West sales were stronger), so Kotaro couldn't get it straight for a ZE3...

lopez
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss

Postby lopez » Sat May 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Remember, use spoiler tags whenever you talk about important spoiler-related items.

It does suck that DR is chugging along while ZE is stuck on the backburner, but that's how the world works :(

Alice Twilight
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Alice Twilight » Sat May 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Why was a figure everyone could see, buy and has been available to the public for half a decade spoilered in my post?

Return to “Danganronpa™ + Danganronpa™ 2”