Dead Series Walking?

Official Black Rock Shooter The Game for PSP Discussion Forum
Memor-X
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Re: Dead Series Walking?

Postby Memor-X » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am

Seventh wrote:The game was about BRS fine though, it just was different than the anime... which is fine, because there is literally no template or rules for what makes a BRS thing a thing or not a thing except that it uses the designs (which is part of what makes it such an interesting franchise - they can do a lot with it), and the game did just that. It's as much BRS as the anime was, at the very least.

i thought the template was Miku look-a-like with huge flipping cannon and flaming eye in epic fights, which the game breaks at the start with all the seedly blokes that went crazy when they thought they found a girl and that last guy was wayyyyy too happy being the last one left. don't mind reverse harem since i like Oran but i do mind when all points lead to the only girl left in the world surrounded by a bunch of guys who want mankind to survive, i might be cynical here but someone is really putting on the neon arrows saying "make hentai of this"

still, the game was ok, like how they did the action and how the boss battles was considered a game, thought i never completed it, save got corrupted when

Spoiler:
Nana betrayed BRS

happened i went to delete Persona 2: Innocent Sin System Data to reset my progress in the game (including unlocks) and somehow every file but the most out of date Disgaea 1 file got corrupted (by out of date it was low level early game data).

what's Black Rock Shooter Arcana? never heard of it, just from the image i saw was it a browser base card game, anywhere i could download the card images? (doing that with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha INNOCENT).

I wouldn't mind seeing another Anime, i've never seen the OVA so i have no idea why people think the anime is an abomination in comparison but maybe they can figure out the reason and make a 24 episode series or even more, i feel 12 episodes is always too short
Vivio: Yay, Feito-mama and Nanoha-mana made love, properly too this time
Nanoha: Vivio dear, what gives you that idea
Vivio: Aunty Hayate said you'd yell out like when i yell out replying "I'm Coming!" to you
Nanoha: Ha-ya-TEEEE!

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 am

The game still had that though. Every single fight in fact.

Arcana is/was a mobile based game, as I mentioned a few times now - I don't know about the images. I mostly just have a bunch saved off my phone in random places from when I played.

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 am

You should try and complete it again.

Seventh wrote:You do realize you're basically saying "it was normal because I say so" here, right? :?

Considering that's what you replied to originally, yes

Seventh wrote:I honestly don't see how you can reach that conclusion - they're different, but as I said, there is no template for what makes something "about" BRS or not except that the design is there. That's it. It's a franchise based off of some drawings that were posted on pixiv. There isn't exactly a model here.

It took into account more of the drawings, instead of making up its own. In the anime, BRS was an actual character, not the aesthetics of a character. The anime actually fit the song. I could probably think of more reasons, but I'll stop there.
Seventh wrote:Because of the "without the ridiculous drama" part that followed the part you're quoting. Every time you cleared a stage, you got dialogue between the different characters, and they were pretty clearly intending to make it a big thing before they had to shut it down. Still got to add a few cool characters before that happened at least.

My problem is I haven't had the chance to play this, and I'm only working off what you tell me. When you tell me it didn't have enough story to produce drama, that tells me it didn't have much story at all. Then, you now say it had decent story? :?
Hopefully you can understand the reason I'm confused on this point.

Memor-X wrote:i've never seen the OVA so i have no idea why people think the anime is an abomination in comparison

The OVA was rushed, inconclusive, and devoid of much story. The only thing it had going for it were the fight scenes (which, arguably, the anime had better scenes). So, what I'm saying is: I also have no idea why people think the anime is an abomination in comparison.
I guess because it didn't have any of that delicious drama that the anime had? People seem to hate drama for some reason. I love it personally. Gives a much better emotional attachment to characters.
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 am

Actually I've given some reasons why, but that's clearly not going anywhere, so eh.

The song is not a rule or guideline for anything, though. It "actually fitting" the song doesn't make it better than the game in any way whatsoever - it means absolutely nothing, in fact. The song is not a template, it's just another thing, like the games, that spawned from the drawings. To that end, I think you don't seem to understand that if you include the aesthetics, that's all you need to include - that's all there is. Plus, what did the anime even have that made it about her? It was about Mato, whose Persona happened to be BRS. That's... somehow better than a game actually about her? So the game used original designs - the anime made up a few things too, you know. There's nothing wrong with these sorts of works creating some new characters.

I'm not saying it had a good story (what I've read does point to that though), I'm saying it shows you don't need to rely on over the top drama to have a story in the first place. Had there been one competent adult - maybe even human being in general - in the anime, you just wouldn't have had a show.

Look, this was not meant to be some argument about the quality of the things the series has produced, but rather, a discussion on the state of a series we all like that is no longer producing much of anything. We don't agree, but we can at least agree that we both like the series and wish there was more, right?

vampko
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby vampko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 am

Seventh wrote:Look, this was not meant to be some argument about the quality of the things the series has produced

It's not been that. My argument was that the anime was much better of a representation of BRS than the game. Not that it was better (not sure myself which I enjoyed more).
Seventh wrote: we can at least agree that we both like the series and wish there was more, right?

That we can agree on
あの巨人シノはあんたたちの金髪少女の髪を食べたいな顔をしてるよ
AniList (no need to reg to view)
[06:46:27] <Solice> you're like dealing with a bag of rabid cats
Zdood: You are who you are. And you are a captain at the wheel of an easily-sinkable fleet of ships made of duct tape.
Spoiler:

shaver13
Peon
Peon

Postby shaver13 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:55 pm

vampko wrote:
Seventh wrote:Look, this was not meant to be some argument about the quality of the things the series has produced

It's not been that. My argument was that the anime was much better of a representation of BRS than the game. Not that it was better (not sure myself which I enjoyed more).
Seventh wrote: we can at least agree that we both like the series and wish there was more, right?

That we can agree on

And so do I.

ivanchu77
Netherworld Nobility
Netherworld Nobility

Postby ivanchu77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Heh, that's something that i have been thinking for a while too, "is this franchise dead or something"? , felt like entering this sub forum to make a thread about it.....was surprised to see seventh already made a thread about it , last year no less! :lol:

But yeah, i dunno what the hell happened, few years ago it was everywhere: OVAs, the Anime, loads of figures, mangas, a videogame, crossovers , lots of cameos and references in other series , LOTS of fanart....

But then ,suddently, the franchise was forgotten or something since i never heard anything about it anymore for quite a lot of time, just literally nothing, and for a franchise that used to be so extremelly active like this one seems weird .....i still remember like it was yesterday when it was everywhere

Even on pixiv there's barely any new fanart this year.... I know kancolle is the new fad and is getting all the atention but otherd like Touhou still get things, even if it' s not as much as before, meanwhile BRS is nowhere to be seen

I hope it gets some new material and relevanc again some day....

pro100pk2
Vassal
Vassal

Postby pro100pk2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:48 am

Do you wish it wasn't so? Or do you simply feel like saying "so what?" as I suspect most responses will be. :)

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm

...Maybe Kancolle distracted everyone? XD
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Seventh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:20 am

Rednal wrote:...Maybe Kancolle distracted everyone? XD

I think it died before that even became a huge thing. :(

Rednal
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Rednal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:13 am

*Nods*

At the same time, though, I don't remember there being a whole lot of 'new' stuff for the series, and most of what DID exist was disconnected from the other parts. The BRS anime, for example, doesn't seem to have a whole lot of similarities to the game here.

Franchises that aren't regularly updated tend to fade away.
PSN: LordRednal / Twitter: @Rednal29 ] Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/rednal29

knightnightmare
Majin
Majin

Postby knightnightmare » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 pm

It's a shame more wasn't done with this. This is one of the most underrated games on the PSP imo.
The closer your go towards the light, the darker you shadow becomes.

Return to “Black Rock Shooter The Game”