Translation Quality

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:39 pm

I've been playing through the game and I've noticed that, much like DR2, the script is stilted, there's translationese everywhere (including such classics as: as expected of, it can't be helped, don't go doing X, ufufu, etc), terminology between this game and the other two is inconsistent, some jokes and puns that are left as is (like Komaru being called Omaru) which make for an overall confusing experience, and I've even heard of a save bug.

Now, I excused some of these issues in DR2 since, as I learned later on, the localization was rushed. However, I don't see why this would happen again with AE, especially since the first game's localization was fine, aside from a few questionable changes. At the very least, I hope that this isn't an issue with NDRV3 (assuming NISA is going to localize it), otherwise I'll have to skip on it.

By the way, hearing native English speakers say some of these lines makes it even more jarring.

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Just noticed that one of the chapters is named "Absolute Despair Girls", so not only is the translation inconsistent with the previous games, it's also inconsistent with itself.

User avatar
Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:58 am

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the localization. I can understand why the "translationese" terms might sound awkward to you, but having worked with the script myself I can promise you that the original Japanese had far, far more instances of those terms than what showed up in the English script. I tried not to use the same terms repeatedly, but that of course meant that sometimes, using those phrases was just the best option available. I'm not sure if this is your experience, but I do hear phrases like "can't be helped" and "as expected of" occasionally, so it didn't feel awkward to me to put them into the script every so often. I didn't want to divorce the English script from the Japanese too far: that tends to deeply, deeply upset the fans.

Thank you for your feedback, though, I do take that kind of criticism seriously.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe
Image

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the localization. I can understand why the "translationese" terms might sound awkward to you, but having worked with the script myself I can promise you that the original Japanese had far, far more instances of those terms than what showed up in the English script. I tried not to use the same terms repeatedly, but that of course meant that sometimes, using those phrases was just the best option available. I'm not sure if this is your experience, but I do hear phrases like "can't be helped" and "as expected of" occasionally, so it didn't feel awkward to me to put them into the script every so often. I didn't want to divorce the English script from the Japanese too far: that tends to deeply, deeply upset the fans.

Thank you for your feedback, though, I do take that kind of criticism seriously.

I've personally never heard either of those terms used in casual conversation, and even a quick google search of "as expected of" reveals a lot of Japanese-related links, which I doubt is a coincidence. But that aside, I think that since the game is being dubbed, it's only natural that the script should sound as natural as possible so the dub actors can give a good performance without wondering what "Awawawa" means (There's an instance where Monomi says this in DR2, and her English VA sounds pretty confused while saying it). Basically, I'd appreciate a balance between natural sounding dialogue, and an overall faithful translation, which I think is best for a game like this.

Now with that out of the way, I'm still curious as to why Chapter 5's title, "Absolute Despair Girl" - which is undoubtedly a title drop - is different from the game's actual, localized title, "Ultra Despair Girls". Would it be possible to get an answer on that? Finally, a thing I neglected to mention in my original post is the line where Touko introduces herself to Komaru is supposed to be a direct reference to a similar line in DR1, and yet DR:AE translates it differently from DR1's official TL. I understand that it's easy to miss, thus why I didn't bring it up, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Another thing, why do the BGM names not match the actual BGM and why hasn't this been patched? Also, I remember watching a stream of the game when it came out in Japan, and if I remember correctly, all the track names matched the track. So this must be a localization-induced issue.

User avatar
Prinny Supervisor
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Prinny Supervisor » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 am

Internetakias wrote:Now with that out of the way, I'm still curious as to why Chapter 5's title, "Absolute Despair Girl" - which is undoubtedly a title drop - is different from the game's actual, localized title, "Ultra Despair Girls". Would it be possible to get an answer on that?


That was intentional, as a nod to the fans who knew the literal Japanese title. I suppose it didn't come off that way, though.

That was Finally, a thing I neglected to mention in my original post is the line where Touko introduces herself to Komaru is supposed to be a direct reference to a similar line in DR1, and yet DR:AE translates it differently from DR1's official TL. I understand that it's easy to miss, thus why I didn't bring it up, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.


Thanks for pointing that out! That was almost certainly because the translator who worked on DR1 did not work on DR2 or DRAE; they might have recognized the line. Still, it should have been the same, and we'll have to be more diligent about that in the future.

Internetakias wrote:Another thing, why do the BGM names not match the actual BGM and why hasn't this been patched? Also, I remember watching a stream of the game when it came out in Japan, and if I remember correctly, all the track names matched the track. So this must be a localization-induced issue.


Without getting into NDA territory, this was partially due to the OST we were using in our LE boxed set and licensing issues. As for why it hasn't been patched yet, unfortunately whether or not patches are made are entirely up to the developer. As an unofficial, personal opinion, SpikeChun is really, really busy working on DR3 and other projects, so it is extremely unlikely that they would pull resources from those to make that kind of patch.
Mo' Money, Mo' Moe
Image

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Prinny Supervisor wrote:
Internetakias wrote:Without getting into NDA territory, this was partially due to the OST we were using in our LE boxed set and licensing issues. As for why it hasn't been patched yet, unfortunately whether or not patches are made are entirely up to the developer. As an unofficial, personal opinion, SpikeChun is really, really busy working on DR3 and other projects, so it is extremely unlikely that they would pull resources from those to make that kind of patch.

To be more specific, selecting DSO_Beautiful Dead would play a completely different song. Now, the actual DSO_Beautiful_Dead is still in the jukebox, but under the name of a different track. As such, it seems hard to believe that this was related to licensing issues.

Also, this seems minor enough that I doubt it'd require that many resources to fix. But I'd rather see the save bug fixed first, anyway.

Internetakias
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Internetakias » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 pm

Just found out the voice selector in the novel is broken. Seems like the more I play this game the more bugged it becomes, which is unacceptable for a professional translation. Also, like I've said before, DR3 being in development isn't an excuse for SC not to make patches for AE, especially since none of the older DR games were ever patched either, despite having issues as well. But I'm guessing this is because most other people are complacent enough that they willingly overlook stuff like this, so there's no pressure on you or SC to do anything about it. I've had enough, though. If you guys can't get it together after 3 games in a row, then it's clear I should stop giving you my money.
Last edited by Internetakias on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Seventh
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke
Posts: 29268
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm
Location: Zawame City

Re: Translation Quality

Postby Seventh » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:22 am

I'm actually sort of inclined to agree here. Not to the same extreme, but this one definitely has more of a stiff feel than the first two to me as well.

Like, a couple of things that really stood out to me were how characters would introduce themselves sometimes. When Byakuya appears, for example, he says his name, where he works, and his branch.

In Japanese, there's a "da" at the end of these phrases, so it works as an introduction sort of deal. In English, I don't recall seeing anything like "I'm" in these situations.

It's those kinds of "this was a little too on the literal end" that stood out to me. I did also catch how there were some jokes and puns with wordplay that just wouldn't have carried over at all, and I think you guys did a good job just localizing the lines normally.
Image


Return to “Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest