Favorite Voices in the Neptunia series

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Favorite Voices in the Neptunia series

Postby CompaNeptune » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Which character has your favorite voice in the Neptunia series?

I'm sorry if I get to post something like this, and I'm going to get flamed, but personally, I really enjoy the English voices in the Neptunia series, especially Compa, who are voiced by Cristina Vee, who is absolutely my favorite voice actress. I find Compa's English voice to be really adorable and not annoying at all, and Cristina did an amazing job on voicing her. I also really like the rest of the voices like Blanc, Nepgear, Vert, Uni, etc. Yes, I've heard bad voice acting in JRPGs, as well as other video games in general, but Hyperdimension Neptunia is not one of them. The Japanese voices aren't bad either, but I prefer the English voices. I respect your opinion if you don't like them, but I really like the ENG voices in this series.

kosmos
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Re: Favorite Voices in the Neptunia series

Postby kosmos » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:20 pm

CompaNeptune wrote:Which character has your favorite voice in the Neptunia series?

I'm sorry if I get to post something like this, and I'm going to get flamed, but personally, I really enjoy the English voices in the Neptunia series, especially Compa, who are voiced by Cristina Vee, who is absolutely my favorite voice actress. I find Compa's English voice to be really adorable and not annoying at all, and Cristina did an amazing job on voicing her. I also really like the rest of the voices like Blanc, Nepgear, Vert, Uni, etc. Yes, I've heard bad voice acting in JRPGs, as well as other video games in general, but Hyperdimension Neptunia is not one of them. The Japanese voices aren't bad either, but I prefer the English voices. I respect your opinion if you don't like them, but I really like the ENG voices in this series.

I personally think people exaggerate how "bad" JRPG english voice acting is. But you're among a friend here. I like the japanese HDN voices but I prefer the english ones by a huge margin.

I like most of the voices but this thread reminded me and made me sad about Vert losing her original voice actress. A real shame as she was probably my favorite.
Uni and Ram would probably follow. Blanc's I like as well.
I like Nepgear's but Cabanos really needs to try to slightly alter her voice for different roles at least a little.
I like Neptune's though I wouldn't say its one of my favorites. Purple Heart though...
I love her voice.
Spoiler:

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:56 pm

kosmos wrote:
I personally think people exaggerate how "bad" JRPG english voice acting is. But you're among a friend here. I like the japanese HDN voices but I prefer the english ones by a huge margin.

I like most of the voices but this thread reminded me and made me sad about Vert losing her original voice actress. A real shame as she was probably my favorite.
I like Nepgear's but Cabanos really needs to try to slightly alter her voice for different roles at least a little.
I like Neptune's though I wouldn't say its one of my favorites. Purple Heart though...
I love her voice.

Thank goodness that there's somebody like you who gets to appreciate the English voices of the characters. Also, just curious, but what do you think about Compa's English voice? It's fine if you disagree with me, but I'm a huge fan of Vee. That's why I have CompaNeptune as my username.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:11 pm

kosmos wrote:I personally think people exaggerate how "bad" JRPG english voice acting is.

It's not the worst in the world, although that could be said of a lot of things. That said, I really don't think the English voice acting is that good for some characters (after having experience with VII, I can actually substantiate this claim). Purple Heart especially stands out; she has precisely one tone of voice that is about as flexible as a Yu-Gi-Oh! character's hairdo.

I think some VAs, like those of Umio and Black Heart as well, are way too fixated on precisely one aspect of their characters and they come across as dead.

kosmos
Netherworld Baron
Netherworld Baron

Postby kosmos » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:55 am

CompaNeptune wrote:
kosmos wrote:

I love her voice.

Thank goodness that there's somebody like you who gets to appreciate the English voices of the characters. Also, just curious, but what do you think about Compa's English voice? It's fine if you disagree with me, but I'm a huge fan of Vee. That's why I have CompaNeptune as my username.

I like her. The voice is high yet has a sweet quality to it that I like. And I'm not generally a fan of the super high voices.
She would be a little below my favorites.

Porecomesis wrote:
kosmos wrote:I personally think people exaggerate how "bad" JRPG english voice acting is.

It's not the worst in the world, although that could be said of a lot of things. That said, I really don't think the English voice acting is that good for some characters (after having experience with VII, I can actually substantiate this claim). Purple Heart especially stands out; she has precisely one tone of voice that is about as flexible as a Yu-Gi-Oh! character's hairdo.

I think some VAs, like those of Umio and Black Heart as well, are way too fixated on precisely one aspect of their characters and they come across as dead.

I understand that. Though in my personal opinion, I don't think the difference is the Earth-shattering, ocean splitting, planet-annihilating exaggeration it's made out to be. Yes, in general the execution of the JP voices is a little to a bit better, though for me that can be out-weighed by a good dub just because I can hear it in english. I hate looking down at the bottom of the screen.
Like with Neptunia. IMO, while I think the JP voice actresses show a little more range and diversity in delivery, I just feel that the english voices used fit a lot of the characters better.

I just don't like when people pretend that they're melting when listening to a dub or something similar.
I get that people don't like them, but I find the reactions on the general to be a bit far-fetched.
Just my opinion.
Spoiler:

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:06 am

kosmos wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:

I understand that. Though in my personal opinion, I don't think the difference is the Earth-shattering, ocean splitting, planet-annihilating exaggeration it's made out to be. Yes, in general the execution of the JP voices is a little to a bit better, though for me that can be out-weighed by a good dub just because I can hear it in english. I hate looking down at the bottom of the screen.
Like with Neptunia. IMO, while I think the JP voice actresses show a little more range and diversity in delivery, I just feel that the english voices used fit a lot of the characters better.

I just don't like when people pretend that they're melting when listening to a dub or something similar.
I get that people don't like them, but I find the reactions on the general to be a bit far-fetched.
Just my opinion.

I can't argue with how people tend to overexaggerate things but, all in all, I really think the English voice acting could be a lot better. It's not as if the VAs aren't good; they definitely have some good names (at least, I think they do, anyway) but they don't seem to be putting their all into it.

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:38 am

kosmos wrote:I like her. The voice is high yet has a sweet quality to it that I like. And I'm not generally a fan of the super high voices.
She would be a little below my favorites.

I agree. I'm not a fan of super high-pitched voices either. I mean, I've listened to other voice acting games like Dust: The Elysian Tail, and I really can't stand the annoying squeaky voice by Fidget in there, but Compa is nowhere near that annoying. Cristina knows how to deliver sweet voices.

kosmos wrote:I just don't like when people pretend that they're melting when listening to a dub or something similar.
Just my opinion.

I agree with this as well. Most of the people's reactions are overstated that the dubs are "no-where near as good" as the Japanese counterparts, and they claim that the voice acting is so much worse than the American games, even though I hardly hear any difference in them. I think both Neptunia and Portal series have some of the best voice acting in my opinion, and that's saying a lot, considering that I've listened plenty of dubs.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:26 am

CompaNeptune wrote:I think both Neptunia and Portal series have some of the best voice acting in my opinion, and that's saying a lot, considering that I've listened plenty of dubs.

I dunno if Portal qualifies, considering it was made in the West.

And Wheatley is great.

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:30 am

Porecomesis wrote:I dunno if Portal qualifies, considering it was made in the West.

And Wheatley is great.

Yes, it's from the West, but it still counts as English voice acting. It's just that people, including myself, think that the voice acting is top-notch.
Last edited by CompaNeptune on Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:32 am

CompaNeptune wrote:
Porecomesis wrote:I dunno if Portal qualifies, considering it was made in the West.

And Wheatley is great.

Yes, it's from the West, but it still counts as English voice acting, though there are also many languages available to listen like Spanish, French, etc.

That puts it in very different circumstances, though, since they don't have to suffer through localisation issues and there's other cultural things as well. Basically, they're playing on home turf. There's a reason these sorts of discussions tend to pop up more with Japanese games.

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:28 am

Porecomesis wrote:That puts it in very different circumstances, though, since they don't have to suffer through localisation issues and there's other cultural things as well. Basically, they're playing on home turf. There's a reason these sorts of discussions tend to pop up more with Japanese games.

I understand that. I'm just saying that any game can be voice acted well by any voice actor, regardless if the game is made by North America, Japan, etc. The only difference is that NA games actually get to have their own English voice acting rather than dubbing from Japanese to ENG.

Gamindustri
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Gamindustri » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I personally enjoy all the voice actors/actresses in all the Neptunia games but my most favourite ones would be:

->Melissa Fahn
->Cristina Valenzuela
->Christine Marie Cabanos

:)
Lets be friends! If not, then please don't bite me....I'm not tasty .-.

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:19 am

Gamindustri wrote:I personally enjoy all the voice actors/actresses in all the Neptunia games but my most favourite ones would be:

->Melissa Fahn
->Cristina Valenzuela

Oh my freaking god, I agree completely! All three of them are my favorites as well, but I especially love Cristina Valenzuela. She's the best!

Gamindustri
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Gamindustri » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:55 am

CompaNeptune wrote:
Gamindustri wrote:I personally enjoy all the voice actors/actresses in all the Neptunia games but my most favourite ones would be:

->Melissa Fahn
->Cristina Valenzuela

Oh my freaking god, I agree completely! All three of them are my favorites as well, but I especially love Cristina Valenzuela. She's the best!

It's funny how I can recognize her voice in any of the games that she voiced in.
Lets be friends! If not, then please don't bite me....I'm not tasty .-.

CompaNeptune
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby CompaNeptune » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:20 am

Gamindustri wrote:It's funny how I can recognize her voice in any of the games that she voiced in.

She's been voiced as Riven in League of Legends, Cerebella in Skullgirls, Homura Akemi in Madoka Magica, and Kotori Minami in Love Live! You're also one of the very few people who get to like the English voices in Hyperdimension Neptunia. I'm glad that I found 2 people who agree with me.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”