General Neptunia Discussion

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Re: General Neptunia Discussion

Postby Lan-kun » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:42 pm

...What Pore said.

It also probably helps that she was the main character of mk2, with all that mk2 is known and infamous for.
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Lan-kun wrote:...What Pore said.

It also probably helps that she was the main character of mk2, with all that mk2 is known and infamous for.

And she was, for about half the game, the only playable Candidate in Victory.

I think I've said this before but I'll say this again: not apropos of their individual characterisations (kindly correct me if I used the word wrong), I don't like the Candidates. Story-wise, it feels like they take up a lot of the characterisation and interactions of their CPUs. Rather than having Noire, Blanc, or Vert interact with IF or Compa or whoever else exists in the story, the CPUs primarily interact with their little sisters when they're not sitting somewhere yelling at each other about their habits. Thinking about it, Rom and Ram really don't do much as characters; it really comes down to Nepgear and Uni.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: call me a cynic, but I'm willing to put down the first game's retconning more to giving the CPUs sisters without screwing over the timeline and less to running out of places for the first game to go.

Gameplay-wise, the playable cast has adequate breathing room without the Candidates (Neptune, Noire, Blanc, Vert, IF, and Compa) but it's immensely bloated with the Candidates added in (Neptune, Noire, Blanc, Vert, IF, Compa, Nepgear, Uni, Rom, Ram = 10). Raises the question of who the hell else can be playable without bogging down the player with too many options.

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Yeah, personality-wise, it's really just Gear and Uni. Heck, I'll be lying if I said I didn't forget that Rom and Ram were Candidates at times.

Anyways, I feel like the "too many options" things is pretty inevitable with games that have a large playable casts, so I don't mind it that much. I play League after all, which has over 120 or something champions and only a quarter of them are actually deemed "viable" and "usable" by the players. It frequently updates to keep things a bit fresh though, so...

--ehem--

As for the Candidates' place in the story however, yeah, I've recently been on the same boat as you as well. I personally however, feel like it would be better if the Candidates had lesser roles with minimal interaction with the goddesses in the mainline games and just had spinoff games where they are the main squad as compensation.
Spoiler:

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Lan-kun wrote:Anyways, I feel like the "too many options" things is pretty inevitable with games that have a large playable casts, so I don't mind it that much. I play League after all, which has over 120 or something champions and only a quarter of them are actually deemed "viable" and "usable" by the players. It frequently updates to keep things a bit fresh though, so...

First point: I'm complaining that the CPU Candidates themselves bloat up the cast and give us the problem in the first place.

Second point: Games like League of Legends, Overwatch, and Battleborn only have one player controlling one character at a time. Also, those games are real-time. The idea is that you contribute a role to a team and adapt as much as you can to the hectic scenario unfolding before you. JRPGs, on the other hand, have you in charge of a lot of characters at one time. Ideally, like in Final Fantasy X, everyone (except for Kimahri) has a specific niche to fill. JRPGs, unlike the three games I mentioned above, are more about slow-paced strategy and getting all your pieces ready before a specific conflict while the above three have you adapt as you go.

Lan-kun wrote:As for the Candidates' place in the story however, yeah, I've recently been on the same boat as you as well. I personally however, feel like it would be better if the Candidates had lesser roles with minimal interaction with the goddesses in the mainline games and just had spinoff games where they are the main squad as compensation.

I've had several ideas of the same string, like a game where the CPU Candidates are the main playable cast and the CPUs aren't around (not just kidnapped; not around at all. Retribution for not having Uni in Noire's game). Alternatively, a game focusing on the Ultradimension CPUs with Plutia being the main character (and preferably NOT a spotlight hog) and the Hyperdimension's nowhere to be seen. Alternatively, a game focusing on the Makers with the Basilicoms and their staff being background or side characters.

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Ah, I see. Now that you explained it a bit more, I'm starting to see how big a problem the Candidates actually are...

Also, funny thing: I just posted a response to your wish in the "Corrupt a Wish, Nep Edition" thread that has me wishing for a seperate series that focuses solely upon the Makers. Argh, and that Candidate-only game should totally happen one day, as with the Maker-only game/s! I'd flippin throw money at CH if they decide to do anything even remotely similar to this.
Spoiler:

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I just remembered. Noire was supposed to be the original main character, but the role was switched with Neptune, during development........ thats rough

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Xander Xan678 wrote:I just remembered. Noire was supposed to be the original main character, but the role was switched with Neptune, during development........ thats rough

May we ever mourn that tragic loss.

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Yo!

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:09 pm

I JUST HAD A STUPID IDEA

Compa and IF do some sort of fusion and become one super powerful girl. This technique's name?

Spoiler:
Merger

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Porecomesis wrote:I JUST HAD A STUPID IDEA

Compa and IF do some sort of fusion and become one super powerful girl. This technique's name?

Spoiler:
Merger

Spoiler:

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:10 pm

So, outta nowhere, Megami Tsuushin chapter 12 was translated, after a year of stagnation.....

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I saw that. It's heartbreaking that that's as far as translation efforts have gone, and that it somehow hasn't been picked up by a publisher despite the popularity of the series within the manga market's customer base.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Daverost wrote:I saw that. It's heartbreaking that that's as far as translation efforts have gone, and that it somehow hasn't been picked up by a publisher despite the popularity of the series within the manga market's customer base.

Is it really that popular?

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:08 pm

I meant the Neptunia series in general. It definitely is.

Not so sure how many people are aware of any of the manga or LN series specifically.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

Zetta1001
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zetta1001 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Daverost wrote:I meant the Neptunia series in general. It definitely is.

Not so sure how many people are aware of any of the manga or LN series specifically.

Very few, to tell the truth. There's just no advertisements whatsoever.

For most fans, Neptunia only has games, a bad anime, sometimes the Hello New World manga and that's about it.
Here's another sad, lonely guy who writes stuff.

Said stuff is this way.

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”