General Neptunia Discussion

Get your Neptune chat on here, doods!
Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Re: General Neptunia Discussion

Postby Xander Xan678 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Honestly, the anime did a better job with the Mk2/Victory arcs than the games ever did it......
.......Specially at Victory arc.... but that may be just me....

YuriLover567
Vassal
Vassal

Postby YuriLover567 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:34 pm

It's just you. o_o
The Anime was shit
Just an average nobody who loves Yuri.
Find my stuff here. https://www.fanfiction.net/~yurilover567

Zetta1001
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zetta1001 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm

The anime attempted, for some stupid reason, to adapt two whole games in twelve episodes as opposed to simply pulling a Megami Tsuushin and being about random stories with the CPUs set after/between/in some unspecified time probably related to the games.

With so few episodes, the anime staff decided to forget about most characters and madly rushed through everything, skipping almost all the story, character interactions and developments alike.

To top it off, the animation featured altered designs which made the characters look outright generic, which makes me wonder why they gave Neptunia the incredibly low budget treatment while the Date A Live anime still looks very much like Tsunako's art.

I honestly can't see how that was handled better than the games.
Here's another sad, lonely guy who writes stuff.

Said stuff is this way.

KoopaTroopinski
Netherworld Archduke
Netherworld Archduke

Postby KoopaTroopinski » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Zetta1001 wrote:To top it off, the animation featured altered designs which made the characters look outright generic...

I don't know what you mean by this. The only character that changed design-wise was Arfoire's "goddess" form. Everyone else's design was pretty much unchanged, albeit with less detail than the games' in-game portraits.

Zetta1001
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zetta1001 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 pm

I mean things such as eye drawings and shapes, facial structures, some simplified outfits... Well, basically tons of details, with the characters ending up not wildly unrecognizable, but noticeably different from their game counterparts. Looking at anime Noire's face for a while makes it quite obvious.

Something like this wouldn't be a big deal... if only the Date A Live anime, while still featuring slightly altered designs due to the change of art style, hadn't managed to mimic, for lack of a better word, more details from Tsunako's art than the Neptunia anime did. That makes things a tad awkward because of comparison; somehow, it feels as if the designs "lost their shine" and such.

... That said, my main gripe is still that they seriously screwed up with the plot and pretty much wasted the characters. Seriously, if they had put more effort into making the anime, I wouldn't even care if Noire looked like Hatsune Miku.

Said stuff is this way.

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 am

I was talking about how the anime handled characterization better than the games (personally), like, how some of their negative traits (specially shown in Victory) were toned down to more bearable levels, Neptune is less of a jerkass, Plutia is fairly more heroic, Iffy and Compa weren demoted to extra, etc.... But like I said before, this is just me not liking Victory at all

Zetta1001
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zetta1001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:24 am

Neptune was only a jerkass in V, though, and for whatever reason she seems to feel quite sorry for it in VII. I can only guess she's fusing with Purple Heart like Plutia is becoming Iris by endgame. Still, that doesn't change how, instead of "toning her down," they instead had mk2 Neptune in V's storyline.

That said, how was Plutia in any way more heroic in the anime? She could have very well broken Neptune with the way she dealt with the Peashy problem (Ah, let's start by belittling Neptune even though she's working hard, exhausted and still depressed over Peashy!), and she follows through her desires in the same way as in Victory, as Linda can attest to. If anything, Plutia was less thoughtful and heroic than in the game, and it just so happens we saw less Iris Heart victims in the anime because of its length.

As for everybody else's negative traits being toned down... I didn't notice any difference. The Hyperdimension CPUs, the Candidates, IF and Compa... From the very start of the anime, all of them felt the same as they did by endgame mk2/V.

And, about IF and Compa... They were also demoted to extra, you know? When the mk2 plot was ongoing, they had plenty of screentime, but when the Victory plot started, they, along with everyone not named Neptune, Plutia and Peashy, may as well have not been present at all.

I know very few people liked Victory's so-called story, but the anime seems to have been handled considerably worse, especially in the "Plutia is Always Right" department.

... Well, that ended up quite a wall of text, but there you have it. My thoughts on the matter.

Said stuff is this way.

Daverost
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Daverost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 am

Zetta1001 wrote:as opposed to simply pulling a Megami Tsuushin and being about random stories with the CPUs set after/between/in some unspecified time probably related to the games.

That was all I wanted as soon as it was announced. I knew it would be a disaster if they tried to go the adaptation route.

I'm pretty sure I said in at least four different forums that I really wanted it to be like Megami Tsuushin.
I never got my avatars.
Still holding my breath for the other Marl Kingdom games.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:31 am

I think it's adequate. Megami Tsuushin is, in fact, quite a mess to adapt due to its constantly shifting stories, and I'm glad they didn't even try to do this.

Zetta1001
Loyal Vassal
Loyal Vassal

Postby Zetta1001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:35 am

Um, no one is saying they should have adapted Megami Tsuushin, actually. The point is that it should have been like Megami Tsuushin, with a bunch of separated stories instead of a game adaptation which skipped 90% of the plot it was supposed to adapt.

Said stuff is this way.

xizro345
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby xizro345 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:48 am

The original game had basically no plot and was a series of (sometimes good, sometimes not) sketches, more or less, put together in the most nonlinear way - note that again I'm merely referencing the JP version, as I never played (and I'll never play) the localized version. A lot of the concepts were tossed there and never referenced again (and Re;Birth's story thankfully cleaned a lot of up).

Only with Mk2 they started to build an actual plot and with V they went into full insanity mode (and I see it as a good thing, by the way). The anime was a one-off deal, and you possibly couldn't expect to do original material, as it was never their intent to begin with (I think parts of the interviews I translated here may say it clearly, but it has been a long time and I'm not sure).

Some of Neptune's rapid-fire jokes don't really work when animated, same of some P-ko's language puns. I personally think it covered the games adequately and I think it was worth my time - I even purchased the Blu-rays, which is kind of a rarity for me nowadays.

Porecomesis
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Porecomesis » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:44 am

Wi-Fi in Gamindustri is actually referred to "Wi-Fu"

Spoiler:
I may have said that before.

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 pm

Vert is the trash bin icon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lan-kun
Netherworld Marquis
Netherworld Marquis

Postby Lan-kun » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:23 pm

God dammit, CH.
No roasting of my recently favorite main goddess! </3
Spoiler:
In a dark, damp place known as the mind...

Doodle Nep: mAkE a CoMiC aBoUt Us, I dArE yOu. I'lL nEp YeR fAcE In If YoU dO.
Lan-kun: K.

Me fanfics lie within this link!

Xander Xan678
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Xander Xan678 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Oh, boy, Team Chaos Flatty is here!!!

Return to “Hyperdimension Neptunia Series”