Agarest: Generations of War (PS3)

The official European game discussion board.

Agarest: Generations of War (PS3)

Postby Surreal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:56 am

I know this isn't a NIS published game, but I was wondering if anybody here is playing this game or is planning on picking this up?

To the uneducated, this game was developed by Compile Heart (Cross Edge) and Red Entertainment (Sakura Wars) and was originally published by Idea Factory a few years ago in Japan as Agarest Senki. Since then it's spawned a prequel called Agarest Senki Zero and a couple of months ago the PS3 version was finally released in Europe with the title "Agarest: Generations of War" by a company called Ghostlight. As far as I'm aware, Aksys plan on releasing it in the US sometime next year, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

Website for the EU version: http://agarest.ghostlight.uk.com/

The game itself is a turn based strategy game similar in style to the Disgaea series however the battle grids are a lot smaller and you are unable to create ally units, though you can capture monsters and combine/train them to fight along your story characters. Also, instead of being limited to one action per turn, your ally units have a turn value and each attack has an associated cost value which will limit the number of actions each unit can act out every turn. If you've ever played Cross Edge before then the battle systems are very similar with the exception that the battle grids are smaller here and your allies must be "linked" together in order to pull off simultaneous attacks and esoteric combos.

Anyway, I think that's enough explaining for this introduction post. If you've got this game what do you think about it? I'm quite fond of it though I'm struggling to set aside time for it as its the type of game you have to really concentrate on, especially when you start on hard difficulty like I did. XD

Also, this is the infamous "erotic" game though from what I've seen so far it's pretty subtle and I haven't seen much "skin" or innuendo of sorts. However I am only at the start of the second generation at the moment so that could easily change, but so far it seems about the same suggestive level of Cross Edge.
Last edited by Surreal on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Re: Agarest: Generations of War (PS3)

Postby CelticRedemption » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:36 am

Oooho ho, it's far worse than Cross edge on that part XD If you go for Yayoi on second gen, and you are under a set amount of turns, you get this event with a veeeery implying CG >.> namely Yayoi trying to eat a sausage whole ( literally, not figure of speech ).

*cough* anyways, i've been playing this for a bit, somewhere halfway gen 3 now. I like it, but not as much as Cross Edge ( biased due to cameo characters, though =D ). What i REALLY don't like is how you can't escape from battle and how repetitive the battles become eventually x.x Also, surprise fights, ROAR.

Who's your fave character so far?
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
[20:25] <Solice> hey, sailor tenshi... blow or squirt?
[20:26] <Kana> ....what
CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Surreal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 am

I kind of like Borgnine mainly because he's quite useful as a concrete wall. XD

Though my favourite was Leonhardt for obvious reasons... heh. Ladius and Vashtor look pretty good as they can pull off basic esoteric attacks that are physical dependent (and my party is heavily biased in that department... heh). Hopefully I can find that Forbidden Book soon so that I can revive Leo and continue to abuse his Energy skill.
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby CelticRedemption » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:48 am

Yes, leonhardt was good!

btw, which Ladius did you get? i got Fyuria's XD and Vashtor is AWESOME, not just his looks, too!

oh, and i have the most ULTIMATE mage in the game.... a Miesha! ( you know, the little green dragon from Cross Edge ). he has sick Magic power, 6 magic slots of it's own, with a weapon 10, he has that skill where when his hp drops to 25%, immune to physical attacks, the skill that when his hp drops to 25% immune to MAGIC attacks, when his hp drops to 25% his magic attack skyrockets, etc XD
Best monster fusion EVER
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Surreal » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 am

That little dragon got on my nerves during my first playthrough of Cross Edge, in fact all of them annoyed me, especially Lujit who could easily wipe out your whole team in one attack. It felt so satisfying when my stats became so high that all of his attacks would just miss... heh.

The Ladius I got was the offspring of Elaine so he has black hair and uses fist weapons despite having a sword in his character art. At least he has high Attack/Defence and his speed isn't too bad either.
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby CelticRedemption » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:05 am

I usually go for swordfighter offspring, but i went for Yayoi in gen 2, which apparantly gets you the best mage in the game, even though his art and sprite in events has a sword.
and GOD how i loathed that Luijt.... pink dragon of DOOM. it would just RANDOMLY appear as level 99 in a level 15 dungeon!!!! UGH, took me 4 tries to get through there without ENCOUNTERING one of the bastards. since you have NO chance of escaping it
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
CelticRedemption
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Onislash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 am

Yeah, this game has far more innuendo. The main example I have seen is Ladius getting to know the fox lady better in a cave in. Not to mention 2 seconds after.

This game is annoying me however does it always take 4-5 random battles for a event? (Trauma is my main character)
Onislash
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Surreal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 am

This game is ridiculously long. XD

I've played it quite a lot and I'm now on the "Force" generation at the part where Vashtor and Ellis have left the party. There go 2 of my favourite party members, hopefully Ellis will return soon as her ridiculous attack range makes her extremely useful (as well as her healing capabilities). :cry:

I've noticed that my new main character in the last generation will have wings if I pick Silvi, so that decision is a no-brainer... heh. It also sweetens the deal knowing that he'll be a sword/great-sword user as well.
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby yuki-chan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 am

I liked the game, Its very long and have a good difficult
yuki-chan
Majin
Majin

Postby hedges1001 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 am

love this game i just got yayoi in my party and my ps3 wallpaper is that scene where she tries to eat a sausage. so far my favourite character is ellis/fyuria they were my main damage dealers in the first generation (ascension killed nearly everything) was it just me or the final battle of the first generation was stupidly easy
hedges1001
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Surreal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Don't worry, you'll soon be frustrated once you start the 4th generation. Then there's the Gurg battles in the 5th generation to worry about. XD
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby Onislash » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Surreal wrote: Then there's the Gurg battles in the 5th generation to worry about. XD

Spoiler:
5 times the fun! :lol:

That probably isnt a spoiler but to be safe. This game certainly gets harder
Onislash
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby hedges1001 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:29 am

good to hear it gets harder if there is one thing i dont like its an easy game
hedges1001
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Surreal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 am

Just make sure to carry plenty of those revival items... heh.
Surreal
Majin
Majin

Postby hedges1001 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 am

the only part of the game i have trouble with is finding the items for synthesis becasue most of the time its the only way to get powerful equipment
hedges1001
Geo Master
Geo Master

Next

Return to European Game Chat