Why no release in Canada, Mexico and certain areas of Europe

Official Black Rock Shooter The Game for PSP Discussion Forum
MerchantPrince
Peon
Peon

Why no release in Canada, Mexico and certain areas of Europe

Postby MerchantPrince » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 pm

This is something I'm very curious about... I've been eagerly anticipating the game for quite a while and was hoping to be able to play it once I saw the release date. However, the lack of a Canadian release is hampering that and I'm curious as to what the specific reasons that it is unable to be released here, as well as in Mexico and certain areas of Europe, are?

Is it possible to know what they are, or is it just meant to be viewed as the licensing and copyright issues? I have my suspicions as to what it is in Canada, but I'm curious about the exact reasons.

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Re: Why no release in Canada, Mexico and certain areas of Eu

Postby Houk » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 pm

There really isn't any underlying reason beyond copyright/licensing issues. I know some people would like to hear more, but there really isn't any more to it than that.

Cirehpsa
Peon
Peon

Postby Cirehpsa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm

I really don't see how that'd be possible for Canada though.

It's kind of a shocker really.

Like it normally happens to various places in Europe and whatnot but not Canada.

Welp...

...that sucks. : x

Tenerezza
Vassal
Vassal

Postby Tenerezza » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:25 am

What countries will it release or not release in Europe? Why not release the list? it's quite annoying to just read that there is a random chance that it will be out in random countries within Europe, as that's basically what it says now.

Europe is far from a single country.

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:04 am

Tenerezza wrote:What countries will it release or not release in Europe? Why not release the list? it's quite annoying to just read that there is a random chance that it will be out in random countries within Europe, as that's basically what it says now.

It is possible they are not entirely sure which ones yet either.
Otherwise, it would make sense to list them.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Yerld
New Vassal
New Vassal

Postby Yerld » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 am

Cirehpsa wrote:I really don't see how that'd be possible for Canada though.

It's kind of a shocker really.

Like it normally happens to various places in Europe and whatnot but not Canada.

Welp...

...that sucks. : x

Well, the US and Canada are separate countries. With games, it's customary to treat Canada/US/Mexico as a single territory, but that sure isn't the case with video streaming.

At any rate, I can think of a couple possible scenarios:

1. From the start, the licensor wanted to charge a premium for each individual country.
2. Someone wrote a contract with a bad assumption - like thinking that US rights included Canada as well, or European rights meant all of Europe - and the licensor was really inflexible (and/or kept highballing) when it came to renegotiation.

BRS has been delayed for so long, so I suspect that this issue has been an ongoing concern.

artemisthemp
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby artemisthemp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

Tenerezza wrote:What countries will it release or not release in Europe? Why not release the list? it's quite annoying to just read that there is a random chance that it will be out in random countries within Europe, as that's basically what it says now.

I can't see any reason why, but I have a feeling that Denmark won't get it and same applies to Scandinavia and Polen

Houk
Netherworld Duke
Netherworld Duke

Postby Houk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:24 pm

We actually do have the list of countries, it's in the press release. I thought we linked to the press release in the Prinny Bomb, but looking at it now I don't see it.

Anyway, the list of countries it WILL be available in is: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Holland, Britain, Romania, and Bulgaria.

I'll see about getting this info posted on our website or somewhere easily accessible.

ShadowJetX
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby ShadowJetX » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:48 pm

I can't really see a reason why it would be harder to license BRS:TG in Canada as compared to the US. I can't really fathom a reason why other then.... really stupid unnecessary political reasons.

I understand that BRS:TG is cluster bomb of licensing hell with a fudge ton of different companies who attributed in someway. Its extremely disappointing that I won't be able to play this over seemingly inane reasons that can't be explained to us because you're simply not allowed to Houk.

artemisthemp
Netherworld Count
Netherworld Count

Postby artemisthemp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Houk wrote:We actually do have the list of countries, it's in the press release. I thought we linked to the press release in the Prinny Bomb, but looking at it now I don't see it.

Anyway, the list of countries it WILL be available in is: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Holland, Britain, Romania, and Bulgaria.

I'll see about getting this info posted on our website or somewhere easily accessible.

Houk you are my Hero :).

Ringwraith
Netherworld Grand Duke
Netherworld Grand Duke

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

ShadowJetX wrote:I can't really see a reason why it would be harder to license BRS:TG in Canada as compared to the US. I can't really fathom a reason why other then.... really stupid unnecessary political reasons.

I understand that BRS:TG is cluster bomb of licensing hell with a fudge ton of different companies who attributed in someway. Its extremely disappointing that I won't be able to play this over seemingly inane reasons that can't be explained to us because you're simply not allowed to Houk.

Welcome to litigation!
No-one likes it here. :roll:
Remember that whole "The Elder Scrolls vs Scrolls" thing? Litigation reasons, Bethesda were told "Scrolls" was too similar to their trademark, because apparently the people who run the system have no sense.
<SaturnineTenshi> and we can play with solice because he likes it
<Solice> i hear it's better than playing with myself

<Solice> celtic had a hard time getting his ball out?
<Kana> oh man, you have no idea

Motion Blue
Peon
Peon

Postby Motion Blue » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 am

Will there be any other attempts to get it for Canada or any other countries currently excluded? I want this game, I want to give my money to NISA.

sakiu
Vassal
Vassal

Postby sakiu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 am

And I hope Poland will not vanish from your radar from now on! :)
Day 1 buy for me!

Qefimo
Geo Master
Geo Master

Postby Qefimo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:58 am

For folks in Canada, Mexico and wherever else: Open a US PSN account and buy American PSN money from an online retailer. Bingo.

Motion Blue
Peon
Peon

Postby Motion Blue » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 pm

To use two accounts on a Vita requires 2 Vita memory cards. Also, you can't register a US account unless you have a US IP.

Return to “Black Rock Shooter The Game”